Book 1 in the V is for Virgin series
This book follows “Virgin Val” after she is dumped for wanting to be a virgin until marriage. Unfortunately, hometown rock star prodigy, Kyle Hamilton, posts about her purity pledge on the internet, causing her a lot of unwanted attention.
What I Liked
- The hint of a relationship between Kyle and Val was enough for me to pick up the next book. (It’s also the only reason I gave this book three stars instead of two.)
- The author did a pretty good job of addressing the topic of virginity in a fair way without including religion.
- It was interesting to see how Val handled the sudden fame that gets thrown her way.
What I Didn’t Like
- Based on the Goodreads summary, I had expected this to be a romance. It was actually more of a story about how Val deals with unexpected fame.
- This book was sort of dry. I love Kelly Orman’s books (especially Cinder & Ella!), but I was very close to putting this book down and not picking it back up. I feel like there was a doctor’s appointment or something where this book was my only option and that’s why I finished it.
- I feel like the author missed the opportunity to add the point that someone who is not a virgin has no less value than someone who is. There is a specific scene in which this could have easily been done. (To be fair though, she also doesn’t look down upon the non-virgin characters, it just isn’t addressed at all.)
This book was only so-so. Go read Cinder and Ella (also by Kelly Orman) instead!